Wednesday, January 06, 2010

2010 Resolutions

Let’s talk about resolutions, since that’s all you seem to hear about at this time of year. Whether it’s complaints about crowds from my gym-going friends or complaints in the office kitchen about how there shouldn’t be treats present since everyone is dieting, resolutions are never a positive topic. This is quite ironic, since resolutions themselves are positive changes to what we deem to be negative aspects of our lives.

So why do we hate them so much?

Is it really THAT hard to change? Are we disturbed by the fact that a resolution is an admission of a flaw or failure in our lives? Or is it just seasonally-stylish to complain about them… like hating fruitcake at Christmas and shore traffic on the Parkway in the summer.

Well, whatever the reason, we all do it. However, this year I have made a resolution that will literally stop the complaining (at least on my end): This January 1st marks the first drama-free decade of my life. I’m saying goodbye to toxic people, not getting mixed up in problems that don’t affect me, and just cutting negativity out of my life.

Now, I’m not delusional like some resolution-makers. I’m going to have successes and failures. This isn’t a change where, if it doesn’t happen by February, I’m going to give up. I’m a mouthy, opinionated, stubborn person. My life isn’t going to suddenly be sunshine and unicorns, but I’m really sick of the drama. Especially since the majority of drama and negativity that came into my life was from other people’s problems that sucked me in.

No more. I’m always here if someone needs to vent or chat, that won’t change… but that’s where it stops. I don’t want to sit and hear your gossip over the same little issues that have been going on for years. I’m not going to be the spokesperson for injustice anymore, unless it is my own problem. I’ll gladly listen and advise, but everyone is fighting their own battles from now on.

I’m learning to view the world in a positive light and constant gossip and bullshit isn’t part of that view. I can see the toll it has taken on me and, for my own sanity, need it to end now.

So this is it… I resolve to cut the drama and negativity and turn my life into something more positive and enjoyable. Maybe I’ll actually accomplish all the things I’d like to do in life instead of wasting my time on meaningless chatter. Isn’t that the point of this blog: my desire to find my inner homemaker?! Well, this is Step 1…

No comments: